Simply called "The Red House" for as long as anyone can remember, this in-town charmer seems to inspire creativity. The c.1760 house, with 1830 additions, was once home to novelist Caroline Gordon, who was known to hobnob with Fitzgerald and Hemingway. All who enter are awe-struck by the large and lovely rear garden, completely wrapped in privacy and entirely fenced. A gazebo stands beside raised planted beds full of flowering trees and old-growth roses, and a sitting wall edges the fieldstone terrace. Inside, four decorative fireplaces grace rooms with antique character. The vintage kitchen has exposed brick, a decorative wood-burning stove and French doors. In the dining room, wood planks of remarkable width and winder stairs are indicative of the home's 18th century beginnings. The main stairs lead to a hall bath and 2 bedrooms, one with a diminutive sitting room. In 1783, when America's new Congress met in Nassau Hall, Thomas Jefferson occupied the bedroom and sitting room. A two-room bedroom suite with access to the terrace lies just beyond the living room, where built-in bookcases enhance an innate coziness. A separate 2-car garage with office is a welcome modern amenity! The shopping center, Princeton's upper school campuses, and the center of town are a short stroll away.