The Henry M. Pownall House, completed in 1879, occupies a special place in Newtown Borough history as it remained in the Pownall family until 2000. Pownall was a harness maker and a very prominent, successful member of the community. His home reflects that heritage and has been preserved and carefully improved over the past 138 years. Its fancy front porch with decorative wood trim leads to an interior showcasing a classic Victorian floor plan. A formal front entrance opens to the hall with a beautifully milled staircase. To the right is the formal front parlor and a second parlor separated by pocket doors. Beyond is the formal dining room where an original fireplace became an Arts & Crafts-style cabinet and an additional "china closet" provides excellent storage. All of these rooms are finished with beautiful, original millwork and moldings, remarkable plaster work, parquet and other wood floors, high ceilings (some with plaster medallions) and tall windows. Its first renovation was done in 2000, carefully preserving the original details while updating the electric and plumbing and adding central air, central vac, a new roof and a concrete floor in the basement. At this time the kitchen was enlarged to become a modern workspace with historical elements, including exposed brick and period-appropriate new windows and French doors opening to gardens. It is a very inviting space with a casual dining area, island, top-grade appliances, gas cooking and views of a carefully landscaped and hardscaped courtyard-style yard. For convenience, a laundry room is located just off the kitchen. Private quarters upstairs include a main bedroom suite with an updated full bath with stall shower. There are three additional bedrooms and a hall bath tiled in marble. A bonus room is now used as a closet/dressing room. There are two additional bedrooms on the third floor. The enchanting gardens at the Pownall House provide an additional space for gracious, seasonal entertaining. The back of the property features a brick, two-story carriage house, completed in 1875, that now contains a three-car-garage, a workshop on the second floor, and a garden room opening to the rear shade garden. Use this space as a studio, hidden retreat or party room. In the heart of Newtown's Historic District, this home is just a few minutes' walk to the shopping and restaurant area and is also convenient for those commuting to Philadelphia and Princeton.