Dallas is a borough in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,804 at the 2010 census. It was created by a charter granted April 21, 1879, from land entirely within Dallas Township. The township had been formed in 1817 and was named for Alexander J. Dallas, who was the 6th United States Secretary of the Treasury and the father of George M. Dallas, the vice president of James Polk. The local government describes the borough as the "heart" of The Back Mountain, an area consisting of Dallas, Kingston Township, a part of Wyoming, West Wyoming, and Harveys Lake.