Tinton Falls is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 17,892, an increase of 2,839 (+18.9%) from the 15,053 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 2,692 (+21.8%) from the 12,361 counted in the 1990 Census.
The borough was formed as New Shrewsbury by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on August 15, 1950, based on the results of a referendum held on July 18, 1950, after breaking away from Shrewsbury Township. It was renamed "Tinton Falls" in 1975, to avoid postal errors. The name came from Lewis Morris's plantation, Tinton Manor, which employed free white workers and slaves. The borough is home to the highest waterfall on New Jersey's coastal plain.