Lambertville is a city in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city's population was 3,906, reflecting an increase of 38 (+1.0%) from the 3,868 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 59 (-1.5%) from the 3,927 counted in the 1990 Census.
Lambertville was originally incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 1, 1849, from portions of West Amwell Township. The area was reincorporated as a city on March 26, 1872.
Lambertville is located on the Delaware River in the southwestern portion of Hunterdon County. During the 18th century, the area was named after various operators of ferries across the river to Pennsylvania, ultimately becoming known as Coryell's Ferry, after its owner, Emanuel Coryell. Coryell's Ferry was the western terminus of the New Jersey portion of the York Road (which is now known as U.S. Route 202) connecting New York City and Philadelphia. The community was named Lambertville in 1814, when the post office was established, in honor of John Lambert, a local resident who had served as United States Senator and Acting Governor of New Jersey.