Carteret is a borough in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 22,844, reflecting an increase of 2,135 (+10.3%) from the 20,709 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,684 (+8.9%) from the 19,025 counted in the 1990 Census.
Carteret was originally created as the borough of Roosevelt on April 11, 1906, from portions of Woodbridge Township, based on the results of a referendum approved on May 22, 1906. The name was changed to Carteret as of November 7, 1922. The borough was also called Carteret during the period from December 19, 1921, to January 16, 1922. The borough was named after Sir George Carteret, one of the first proprietors of New Jersey, and his son Philip Carteret, the first Royal Governor of New Jersey.