The town of Elkton is the county seat of Cecil County, Maryland, United States. The population was 15,443 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Cecil County. It was formerly called Head of Elk because it is located at the head of navigation on the Elk River, which flows into the nearby Chesapeake Bay.
Elkton was once known as the "Gretna Green of the West" because of its popularity as a place for eloping couples to marry, until a state law was passed in 1938 requiring a 48-hour waiting period. To this day, there are several wedding chapels in the town.